Batch Ohmic Heater
Food processing using ohmic heating reduces the need for preservatives and results in superior taste and texture compared to other thermal treatment methods such as jacketed vessels, heat exchanges or steam injection. The Qulom OBA-26 is an ideal tool for R&D and recipe development at temperatures up to 100ºC. For higher temperatures we offer a prerssurised batch unit the Qulom OBP-26, capable of operating at up to 150ºC.
Ohmic heating is a volumetric heating technique that does not involve the use of hot surfaces. It gives uniform heating by heating the medium directly and from within. It is ideal for pasteuristation and sterilisation of foodstuffs where the maintenance of taste and texture are of paramount importance. Ohmic heating is used for pasteurisation and sterilisation of amongst other things, dairy products, fruit juices, fruit pieces, soups, stews, jams. It is of particular use for foodstuffs with high viscosity or with delicate particulate inclusions that are easily damaged by conventional heating equipment.
Because it is a volumetric technique, processes developed on the Qulom OBA can be easily scaled up and we offer a continuous system (Qulom OCP) suitable for both pilot and production scale. Qulom is our range of advanced thermal equipment for the processing industry and benefits from our heritage of 50 years of research into Advanced Thermal Processing.
- Unit is rated at up to 26 kW.
- Equipped with different sized vessels for ease of use, ranging from 2 l to 7.5 l.
- Supplied on its own trolley with storage space for vessels (bench-top setup also available).
- Easy to use and clean.
- Fully interlocked and suitable for use by non-experts.
- Includes mountings for up to four thermocouples and a stirrer.
- The control panel has touch screen control and data logging of temperature, voltage, current and power is provided.
- Pressure : Ambient
- Temperature : up to 100 °C
Electrical Supply Requirement
- 415V 3 phase , 63A, 50 HZ (26kW)
- Alternative: 240V, 50Hz, 45A, single phase (10kW)
- Standalone control panel with PID temperature control, PLC touch screen control, data logging for temperature, voltage, current and power
- Weight : 45-50 Kg
- Dimensions (mm) : 755 (L) X 760 (H) X 305 (D)
Heater Body and Enclosure
- Weight: approx. 20 kg (empty)
- Dimensions (mm) : 750 (L) X 340 (H) X 500 (D)
- Liquid Capacity : variable tank sizes are 1.9L, 3.8L, 5.8L, 7.5L, or fixed at 2L
- Materials of construction: ABS outer enclosure, clear polycarbonate heater body
- Fittings for up to four thermocouples in the product
- Interlocked safety enclosure
- Windows for viewing product
- Stirrer mounted through lid for product agitation if required
- Electrode material: Titanium with mixed metal oxide coating